The Core Functions of the Local Governing Body are:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the effective and efficient performance management of staff
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent
|Mr Adam Smith||Governor||
|Mrs Hannah Walton-Kinross||Parent||Safeguarding and SEND Link|
|Mrs Beccy Nolan||Ex-officio||Head of School||01-Jun-22|
|Rev Barbara Sheppard||Governor||Early Years/Community||28-Mar-18|
The Governing Body will consist of:
- Up to 3 Staff Governors
- At least 2 Parent Governors
- A minimum of 4 and a maximum of 10 Governors
(which can include parents and staff, as long as the total number of staff does not equal more than one third of total number of governors)
Please click here to view the Scheme of Delegation
Further information and declarations of conflicts of interest can be viewed here.
Terms of Reference
The main functions of the local governing body are divided between the wellbeing of staff and pupils and education standards and progress. The terms of reference for these remits are detailed below. As well as this, each school will receive a delegated budget which is devolved from the Trust bank account. Governors will be expected to monitor the effectiveness of the spending in each school to ensure maximum impact and value for money. This includes the use of Pupil Premium and PE premium funding.
- To be involved in the appointment of staff and ensure recruitment, selection and appointments meet statutory and safeguarding requirements
- To monitor staff job descriptions to ensure fairness, legality and that they are up to date
- To be involved in the monitoring and recruitment of Governors
- To review and monitor the staffing and leadership establishment of the school
- To ensure school networks delivers quality staff development
- To monitor and review staff training
- To instigate, monitor, review and evaluate Governor training
- To monitor and review Performance Management/Appraisals
- To instigate capability procedures as and when appropriate
- To oversee disciplinary/grievance procedures
- To monitor and review all aspects of staff wellbeing (including Health and Safety eg maternity.)
- General protection of staff welfare eg stalkers, violent people, e-safety
- To investigate allegations against staff
- To investigate allegations against pupils
- To ensure the medical, emotional and social needs of all pupils are met
- To monitor behaviour log, bullying log and racist incident log
- To monitor and review the Academy’s involvement with the wider community
Education Standards and Progress
- To ensure that to raise standards is acted upon, using the objectives set out in the School Improvement Plan
- To review and analyse the performance of the school, against national and local indicators, and to advise the Governing Body on any action required in order to sustain improvement.
- To approve the school’s curriculum statement and to ensure that it is being met.
- To ensure that School Improvement Plan reflects the requirement to raise standards, and to monitor and evaluate it accordingly.
- To monitor the implementation of any Action Plan resulting from OFSTED Inspections, in order to maintain progress.
- To recommend or approve the annual key stage targets to be set.
- To establish with the assistance of the Head, information about how the curriculum is taught, evaluated and resourced.
- To ensure that the requirements of pupils with SEND are met.
- To receive regular reports from the Head and/or SMT on the quality of teaching and learning, to identify areas for improvement, and ensure that any necessary action is taken to maximise outcomes for pupils.
- To ensure that other relevant policies (i.e. for Teaching & Learning, Behaviour, Attendance etc.) which support learning and improvements in attainment are in place and regularly reviewed.
The Chair of Governors can be contacted in the following ways:
Chair of Governors
C/O Ferndale Primary and Nursery School
Wilts SN2 1NX
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org